- – ROUND 1: BYE
- – ROUND 2: There were four major DI rule changes in the last 20 years. Three of them were caused by wrestlers/coaches from the same High School.
- – ROUND 1: No seven seeds have won an ncaa title since 1995 and four eight seeds have won a title in that time
- – ROUND 2: Eric Larkin and Sanshiro Abe are the only 4X All-Americans to go 4-3-2-1
- – ROUND 3: Between 3/11/17 and 12/1/19 Austin DeSanto beat six former/futureNCAA finalists yet has never made the finals himself.
- – ROUND 4: 1973 NCAA champ Chris Taylor, at a listed weight of 412 pounds, pinned all five guys, averaging 166 seconds per match – outweighing his seconds by 246, which is also the estimated time of matches (2:46)
– ROUND 1: EIWA average NCAA qualifiers with the IVY league was 56.2 Without the Ivy it was 34.
– ROUND 1: Fix and Suriano have wrestled for 55 minutes and 50 seconds with two total takedowns scored. None have been scored in 24 minutes of regulation
OLDEST AND GREATEST:
- – ROUND 1: Adam Coon beat every 285 NCAA champ from 2012 to 2018 and every finalist (besides himself) from 2013 to 2018
- – ROUND 2: The combined record of D1 Hodge Trophy winners is 894-1. Brent Metcalf in 2007-08 is the only one to take a loss and still win the Hodge
- – ROUND 3: Zain Retherford holds the record for most team points scored by any wrestler at an NCAA tournament with 28 in 2017. A team with 28 points that year would have finished 17th
- – ROUND 1: From 2001 to present, 26 mens freestyle wrestlers have won a medal at Worlds/Olympics. Of those, only 31% (8/26) won a Cadet/Junior world medal prior to winning their senior level medal.
- – ROUND 2: Since 2010, PSU’s 85 national qualifiers have finished on average 0.82 spots ABOVE their seed. In comparison, Iowa’s 92 qualifiers have finished 0.20 spots BELOW their seed.
3D WRESTLER STATS:
– ROUND 1: Bo Nickal — in his college career gave up nearfall points 3 times. He also lost 3 times in his college career. He only conceded nearfall in his freshman year. He lost 2x as a freshman and 1x as a sophomore
- – ROUND 1: BYE
- – ROUND 2: From 1979 to 2015 each NCAA Division I tournament had at least oneAll-American who would go on to have an MMA fight
- – ROUND 3: In under 8 mins of wrestling this season, Spencer Lee has scored more4-point near falls (7) than 3 entire Big 10 teams scored in all their dual matches.
- – ROUND 4: 16 All-Americans from the 2006 NCAA D1 tournament would go on tofight MMA, the most of any D1 tournament. So far, 7 have won titles in either Bellatoror the UFC.
– ROUND 1: # of successful NCAA final backflips by Darrion Caldwell: 0
- – ROUND 1: Number of D1 Head Coaches that have won a D1 NCAA title: 17 (21.8%)
- – ROUND 2: # of D1 wrestling programs cut in the past 20 years: 23
– ROUND 1: In 1987, 8 Pennsylvania Colleges had an All-American at the Division 1 Nationals. Pitt, Lock Haven, and Penn weren’t of the 8
- – ROUND 1: Cael Sanderson, 159-0. Longest win streak across all ncaa divisions, best winning percentage , and the only undefeated 4x ncaa champ.
- – ROUND 2: There are 3 sets of twins with over 90 combined career pinfalls at the NCAA D1 level. Tom/Terry Brands (94), Ed/Lou Banach (117) and Josh/Scott Moore (121)
- – ROUND 3: Since 1986 11 wrestlers have lost rd 1 and taken 3rd at ncaas. Only Quisel (Boise 99) had 8 wins with a consi pigtail win
– ROUND 1: 50% of tech falls in the NCAA finals have happened within a 20 second window.
- – ROUND 1: Does getting the 1st takedown in a match matter? After analyzing 1,660 matches in the 2020-21 season, we found that the wrestler with the 1st takedown in the match won 83% of the time!
- – ROUND 2:This season, 52.8% of leg attack attempts actually resulted in the offensive wrestler getting in on legs. Once on the legs, the finish rate is 49.3%. That means that 26.0% of all leg attacks result in a takedown.